Do you ever fantasize about running off to an exotic destination for a yoga retreat to kickstart your health? Or pampering yourself with a relaxing day at the spa, to let go of all your stress and worries?
Unfortunately, you might not always have the time, money or mobility for a much needed wellness treatment. But that doesn’t mean that indulging self-care activities are off the table. Just set aside an evening, a full day or even a weekend to have a luxurious spa day at home!
How? By recreating the essential ingredients of the spa experience in your own home:
- Peace and Tranquility. A day at the spa offers an escape from our hectic world. The serene surroundings and lack of digital distractions help you take your mind off your never-ending to do list. With a little preparation you can recreate those calming settings in your own home.
- Relaxation. We all need to a take break every now and then – and warm baths, massages and yoga are very enjoyable ways to let go off tension and rest up. Fortunately, that kind of relaxation isn’t limited to the spa.
- Health Boost. Many people hope to boost their health and transform their body during a luxurious wellness retreat. But there’s not necessarily a need to go on a juice ‘detox’ holiday when you can whip up delicious smoothie bowls and salads in your own kitchen.
- Pampering yourself. How good does it feel to treat yourself to a facial, mani, pedi or bubble bath after a tough week? Ok, you have to put in a little more effort than just lying back, but that shouldn’t stop you from pampering yourself with DIY beauty treatments to refresh and recharge.
You can adapt these principles to fit any budget, energy level and home situation. Have a look at these 8 ideas to have an indulging spa day at home.
- Clear time in your schedule, just as you would book a day at the spa or a weekend away. Put a big X in your calendar and keep that appointment with yourself.
- Unclutter your ‘spa areas’ – your bathroom, bedroom, a reading or meditation nook – so you’re not distracted by daily chores and hassles.
- Turn your phones and screens off. No digital distractions.
- Optional: Buy the essential ingredients for your wellness day. It doesn’t have to be much, but getting some products for (natural) beauty treatments or healthy foods you enjoy contributes to your spa experience.
2. Wind Down
Change into comfortable clothes or a fluffy bath robe and set the tone with soft music, scented candles and turning the lights down low. Quickly let go off everyday tension by gently stretching it out or soaking your feet in epsom salt. Make yourself a cup of soothing chamomile tea to get in a relaxed mood.
3. Stimulate Circulation
A good blood flow is important because it carries oxygen and essential nutrients to every cell in your body, while your lymph system helps to remove waste products like toxins and bacteria. Our sedentary lifestyle, however, doesn’t do our blood and lymph circulation much good. Especially if you’re often pale, with cold hands and feet or tingling limbs, you could benefit from wellness practices that stimulate your circulation.
Dry body brushing is an ancient beauty routine with incredible health perks. It supports your natural detoxification process, sheds dead skin cells for a healthy glow and boosts your energy. Hot-and-cold showers also improve your blood flow and even release mood-boosting endorphins. You could also try self-massage or yoga for better circulation.
4. Skin Care
Taking care of your skin isn’t just vanity. Your skin is the largest organ of your body – and the most exposed. It gives us clues about what’s happening under the surface, from sleepless nights and hormonal imbalances to nutritional deficiencies and more serious health problems.
And although the sauna and hammam work wonders to clear your skin, you can easily recreate this effect in your at-home spa with a (herbal) facial steam bath. Just carefully place your head over a bowl of steaming hot water (obviously with caution!) and drape an towel over your head to capture the steam. You could add a drop of essential oils for extra pore-cleansing benefits. Afterwards, gently wash your face with a cleanser of your choice.
Additionally, you can apply a nourishing facial mask on your cleansed and dry skin. These 4 yoghurt wellness masks from Cook Republic are made from all natural ingredients you can find at your local supermarket.
And let’s not forget the rest of your body! Scrubs are an easy way to exfoliate your skin. Have a look at the DIY basic scrub formula – with endless variations – from Hello Glow to make your own.
There are plenty of natural and affordable ways to help your skin look and feel fresh, soft and smooth, so try a skin care routine that works for you.
5. Pamper Yourself!
It’s not a real spa day without plenty of pampering. Take a bubble bath and soak away stress with DIY aromatherapy bath bombs. Give yourself a manicure and pedicure or have a crack at treating yourself to a reflexology foot massage. If that gives you hand fatigue, you can mimic the feeling of a professional massage with a simple but effective massage tool. Whatever helps you to decompress and recharge!
6. Nourish Your Body
Healing yourself and hydrating your skin starts from the inside out. During your spa day, choose light but nutrient-rich meals that are easy on your digestion, like smoothie bowls, soup and salads. ‘Cause a warm bath or wellness treatments on a full stomach are not exactly recommended or enjoyable. For an extra health boost, sip on veggie juices, herbal teas or hot ‘n healing drinks.
7. Real Relaxation
Binge-watching Netflix sure is entertaining, but it’s not exactly high-quality rest. So today, really recharge yourself with a guided meditation, mindfulness practice or a gentle yoga routine. Basically anything that helps you to breathe deeply, let go off tension in your muscles and quiets your thoughts for a moment. It can be as simple as putting your legs up against the wall and paying attention to your breathing. Just drown out the noise from the world for a while and truly relax your body and mind.
8. Feed Your Soul
In busy times, it can be hard to find time for doing what you love. A spa day – or even better, a whole weekend – at home is a perfect opportunity to make time for whatever you enjoy: reading a good book, drawing or painting, writing in your journal listening to your favourite music and singing along.
Basking in nature is also very restorative and healing, so head out to the park for a leisurely walk, take a bike ride in the woods, potter around in the garden or simply buy a beautiful bouquet of flowers.
Self-care is not just a luxury, it’s a necessity.
So when are you planning your own spa day at home? Relax and enjoy!
If you enjoyed reading this article, you might also like: