There’s nothing more uplifting than knowing someone is thinking of you when you’re terribly ill. All you want is a little comforting while you’re dealing with the physical pain and emotional turmoil of sickness.
That’s why sending a get-well care package to a sick loved one is a wonderful way to show you care and to wish them a speedy recovery.
And yet you might be stumped for inspiration on what to put in your gift basket. Of course that depends on your friend’s illness, circumstances and preferences in life, but packing both practical items to deal with the daily discomforts and entertaining goodies that offer an escape from the mind-numbing boredom will definitely brighten their day!
Have a look at these 14 ideas for creating a comforting care package for sick loved ones:
- Pick a feel – good movie to cheer your friend up on a bad day. You could include inspirational films like Intouchables, The Pursuit of Happyness, Life of Pi, Amélie and Shawshank Redemption, but classics such as Love Actually or Bridget Jones’s Diary are also a great choice.
- Pack accessories to keep warm and cozy, such as fuzzy socks, a soft blanket or a beautiful scarf. Hot-water bottles or a heatable cherry pit pillow aren’t just the perfect items to snuggle down in bed with, but they can also be used as a remedy to soothe aches and pains.
- Fun brain games (sudoku, word find and cross word puzzles) will keep your loved one’s mind busy while their body is recovering.
- If your friend or family member isn’t on a restricted diet, you can bring (healthy) treats to nurture their body and spirit. Some delicious goodies to consider are a classic fruit basket, raw chocolate bars, a cute mug filled with packs of green tea and honey, homemade cookies or guilt-free muffins.
- To paraphrase F. Scott Fitzgerald, reading books can help you discover that you’re not alone, that your struggle and your emotions are universal. Perhaps profound stories such as The Alchemist, The Last Lecture or Man’s Search for Meaning will comfort your friend during their difficult times.
- When you spend a lot of time in stuffy hospital beds, feeling refreshed can really make your day. A goodie bag with (free) samples of body care products will surely come in handy. Think of travel-sized body lotion, perfume samples and lip balm to combat the dry hospital air.
- Create a modern day mixed-tape! You can make a CD with soothing songs or compose a cheerful playlist on Spotify.
- Indulge your sick loved one with the essentials for ‘Stylish Pajama Days‘: a kimono or luxurious bath robe, comfy slippers and fashionable pajamas.
- Buy some light reading material such as magazines, chick lits, thrillers or a collection of heartfelt short stories for weary days.
- Consider including gadgets that will make daily life more comfortable. Depending on the specific situation and illness, you could add practical items like a cute pill box, a beautiful colostomy bag cover or a BPA-free water bottle to your gift basket.
- If your friend will be homebound for a long time, help them bust the boredom with “entertainment-on-demand” presents like a subscription to Netflix or gift cards for iTunes and Amazon.
- Self-care products that support healing are also perfect for your care package. Some wellness goodies you might consider are essential aromatic oils or gadgets for self massages, like therapeutic head massagers or hot stones.
- Maybe you could provide some creative materials like a journal or art and craft supplies, so your loved one can channel their turmoil of emotions about being sick?
- And don’t forget the most important item of a comforting care package: a handwritten message from you. Think of a gigantic get-well card signed by all their friends, a long letter or a drawing from your/their kids. Other fantastic ideas to show you care are including old photos of the two of you together; a bunch of envelopes with uplifting quotes or well wishes, one to open for every day of their hospital stay; or a personalised coupon book with favours you’d be willing to do during their recovery period, like babysitting, watering the plants, driving them around or bringing groceries.
Would you like to win a get-well gift basket for you or your ill loved one?
Edit: You can no longer enter this giveaway; Rhiann is the lucky winner of the surprise care package!
I’m randomly giving away one surprise care package, filled with the Tiny Buddha book “Simple Wisdom for Life’s Hard Questions” by Lori Deschene, one feel-good movie of your choice and other wellness goodies.
To enter, all you have to do is leave a comment on this post before Sunday March 16th, 2014, 8pm CET, telling me why you or you loved one deserve to be a little indulged with a comforting care package. Also feel free to add another idea for the perfect get-well basket to the list!
Do you want to receive more in-depth health advice in your mailbox? Sign up for weekly updates from The Health Sessions! No spam, ever.