This blog post contains affiliate links to resources I thought you might find helpful, at no extra cost to you. All opinions are my own.
There’s nothing more uplifting than knowing someone is thinking of you when you’re terribly ill. All you want is a little comforting while you’re dealing with the physical pain and emotional turmoil of sickness.
That’s why sending a get-well care package to a sick loved one is a wonderful way to show you care and to wish them a speedy recovery.
And yet you might be stumped for inspiration on what to put in your gift basket. Of course that depends on your friend’s illness, circumstances and preferences in life, but packing both practical items to deal with the daily discomforts and entertaining goodies that offer an escape from the mind-numbing boredom will definitely brighten their day!
Have a look at these 14 ideas for creating a comforting care package for sick loved ones.
14 Comforting Care Package Ideas
1. Great books can help you discover that you’re not alone, that your struggle and your emotions are universal. Perhaps profound stories such as The Alchemist or Man’s Search for Meaning will comfort your friend during their difficult times. You can also choose feel-good fiction like Book Lovers or The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry to boost their mood.
2. Pack accessories to keep warm and cozy, such as fuzzy socks, a gorgeous soft blanket or a beautiful scarf. Hot-water bottles or a heatable cherry pit pillow aren’t just the perfect items to snuggle down in bed with, but they can also be used as a remedy to soothe aches and pains.
3. Fun brain games like sudoku, word find and cross word puzzles will keep your loved one’s mind busy while their body is recovering. You could even consider a travel-sized smart game with lots of different challenges.
4. Bring (healthy) treats to nurture their body and spirit – if your friend or family member isn’t on a restrictive diet, of course. Some delicious goodies to consider are a classic fruit basket, raw chocolate bars, a cute mug filled with packs of green tea and honey, homemade cookies or guilt-free muffins.
5. When you spend a lot of time in stuffy hospital beds, feeling refreshed can really make your day. A goodie bag with (free) samples of body care products will surely come in handy. Think of travel-sized body lotion, perfume samples and lip balm to combat the dry hospital air.
6. Create a modern day mixed-tape! Compose a cheerful playlist on Spotify and include a postcard with the link in your care package.
7. Indulge your sick loved one with the essentials for ‘Stylish Pajama Days‘: a kimono or luxurious bath robe, comfy slippers and fashionable pajamas.
8. Buy some light reading material such as magazines or a collection of interesting short stories for weary days.
9. Consider including gadgets that will make daily life more comfortable. Depending on the specific situation and illness, you could add practical items like a cute pill box, a beautiful colostomy bag cover or a stainless steel travel mug to your gift basket.
10. Help your sick friend bust the boredom with “entertainment-on-demand” presents like a subscription to Netflix and Audible or gift cards for iTunes and Amazon. You could add some ideas for pick-me-up movies or binge-worthy series.
11. Self-care products that support healing are also perfect for your care package. Some wellness goodies you might consider are essential aromatic oils or gadgets for self massages, like therapeutic head massagers or hot stones.
12. Maybe you could provide some creative materials like a journal, a soothing coloring book for adults or other art supplies, so your loved one can channel their turmoil of emotions about being sick?
13. If it looks like your loved one will be housebound for a while, you could consider gifting a weekly or monthly subscription to their favorite magazine, a bouquet of flowers, beauty products or artisan tea blends. That will give them something exciting to look forward to each time! There are subscription boxes for every interest and budget.
14. And don’t forget the most important item of a comforting care package: a handwritten message from you. Think of a gigantic get-well card signed by all their friends, a long letter or a drawing from your/their kids. Other fantastic ideas to show you care are including old photos of the two of you together; a bunch of envelopes with uplifting quotes or well wishes, one to open for every day of their hospital stay; or a personalised coupon book with favours you’d be willing to do during their recovery period, like babysitting, watering the plants, driving them around or bringing groceries.
What are your favorite care package ideas for your sick loved one?
For more ideas, check out 20 Cute Care Package Ideas from Small Businesses or get inspired by Bored & Sick: 30 Entertaining Things You Can Do at Home Alone.